Page archived courtesy of the Geocities Archive Project https://www.geocitiesarchive.org
Please help us spread the word by liking or sharing the Facebook link below :-)


Pebworth Church Bells Pebworth Church Ringers
       

A Brief History

1707 - 1987

A ring of 5 bells was cast for Pebworth in 1707 by Michael Bushell, bellfounder of Evesham. The tenor was recast soon after in 1732 by Abraham Rudhall II. They were hung high in the tower and remained there until 1987, when, in totally derelict state, they were rehung by Whites of Appleton. A redundant bell was found and purchased, and this became a treble, thus making a ring of 6. All bells were retuned by Whitechapel and hung in a new metal frame lower in the tower. This frame had two individual tiers, two pits on the top level and four below.

1995

An augmentation to 8 was undertaken by Hayward Mills Associates, as Brian White was prevented from doing so by a full order book. The bigger frame was achieved by the fairly easy addition of two pits on the top level and redistributing some of the bells. The trebles were cast by Whitechapel Bell Foundry. They were cast with canons and given canon-retaining headstocks of the same pattern as existing bells, to match them visually and, far more importantly, dynamically. The latter aspect was achieved very successfully, as the new bells were a treat to ring with the rest.

2002

The ring was augmented to 10. Hayward Mills Associates were again the main contractors. This involved the addition of one pit on each level of the frame to give a 'five-upon-five' arrangement. The work to achieve this was far more than the augmentation to 8, as all but one of the main supporting beams had to be dug out from their concrete anchorages in the walls and repositioned. Two new beams, one at each level, were necessary. As the belfry is relatively small, tolerances were tight. However, everything went in successfully. The new trebles were again cast by Whitechapel and were again given canons and headstocks of the same pattern, hopefully to repeat the previous success with dynamics. Pleasingly, this is precisely what happened and they are a joy to ring, dropping into place entirely naturally. The significant rearrangement in the belfry has allowed a considerable improvement in the rope circle, which in 8-bell form had three ropes in line. Popular opinion suggests they have become an excellent light 10.

Treble of 10
Treble of the 10,cast 2002
(Note Canons)

Availability of bells to visitors

The bells enjoy good sound proofing to the outside world and a lot of peals were rung on the 8. This soundproofing continues with the 10 and availability of the bells for peals (or quarters, or outings, etc) is very good indeed. Bands wishing to book them should contact Andrew Baker, the Ringing Master (Right)

Details of the bells

Bell

Dia: ins (mm)

Note

Weight: cwt (Kg)

Founder 

Date

Treble

23.0 (584)

A#

  3-2-22  (186)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry, 

2002

2

24.0 (610)

G#

  3-3-14  (197)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry,    

2002

3

25.2 (640)

F#

  3-3-11  (195)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry,   

1995

4

25.9 (658)

F

  4-0-9    (207)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry,   

1995

5

27.8 (706)

D#

  4-1-6    (218)

C&G Mears                              

1854

6

29.1 (739)

C#

  4-3-2    (242)

Michael Bushell, Evesham,   

1707

7

31.5 (800)

B

  5-2-0    (279)

Michael Bushell, Evesham,   

1707

8

33.0 (838)

A#

  6-0-24  (316)

Michael Bushell, Evesham,   

1707

9

36.0 (914)

G#

  7-1-6    (371)

Michael Bushell, Evesham,

1707

Tenor

   40.2 (1021)

F#

11-3-9  (601)

Abraham Rudhall II

1732

 

Pebworth Ringing Times

Sunday: Varied. Please check before hand

Practice night:
1st Friday of
every month - 7.30pm

Location

South-east Worcestershire, mid-way between
Evesham and Stratford-upon-Avon.

OS grid reference: SP129469.
Click here for map

Contact:

St Peter’s Ringing Master:-

Andrew Baker
31 Broad Marston Road
Pebworth
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warks CV37 8XT

01789 721171

Click to email
1