The Rev. Canon William Leonard Baynes-Reed,
LTh, DSO, VD, is commemorated in the left-hand window, which represents
the Ascension of Jesus (Acts 6.1-11).Born on September 4, 1871, he
ministered as rector of the parish from 1898 to 1939. After serving with
distinction in the First World War, he died as the storm clouds were
gathering for the second. The window was erected by his friends and
members of the congregation.
The central window depicts the raising of
Lazarus (John 11.1-44) and was donated by the Toronto architect and
churchwarden of St. John's, Charles David Lennox and his wife Jane
Simpson in loving memory of their son Lt. Charles Simpson Lennox, who
was killed in action in 1918, and of the men of this parish who gave
their lives in the First World War, 1914 - 1918. A plaque below the
window lists 54 names of members of the parish who died in this war
along with the names of 37 who died in World War II, 1939 - 1945.
The right-hand window honours the memory of
1,082 offices, non-commissioned officers and men of the 75th Battalion,
Canadian Expeditionary Force, who gave their lives in what was then
known as the "Great War" of 1914 - 1918. This unit was the forerunner of
the Toronto Scottish Regiment. Canon Baynes-Reed served as their
chaplain during the war. It depicts an armour-clad warrior who has
served "until death" being given the "crown of life" (Revelation 2.10)
by Jesus. At the top of the window is the badge of the 75th Battalion.